The indefinable balance of this effortlessly light blade is matched by its extreme edge potential. The 210mm and 240mm Hammer models have been described as ‘deliciously deadly’ and ‘the ultimate kitchen weapon’. The many chefs from fine dining and busy restaurant kitchens who own Hammer knives are testimony to their inimitable satiny quality. This light, nearly 10” knife really will make wafer thin slices of tuna, beef, salmon and virtually any raw or cooked flesh you care to present to its seeringly deadly edge.
Totally hand made in Seki by a group of highly skilled 3rd generation nokaji – the Hammer Collection of hand hammered Damascus blades glide through everything. Remember to wet blade before cutting very dense ingredients like swede or butternut squash. This enables the edge to slide through very dense substances without resorting to dangerous application of downward pressure on spine.
HANDLE NOTES - D shaped, composed of luxurious sandalwood with black lacquered wooden collars.
● Blade construction – 45 layer. Central core of Swedish Sandvik 19C27 laminated with layers of soft stainless .
● Handle construction – D shaped red sandalwood with black lacquered wooden collars.
● Cleaning – NEVER WASH SHARP KNIVES IN DISHWASHER. Wash only by hand keeping sharp edge away from potential harm using any domestic washing up liquid. Rinsing with very hot water will facilitate the most essential thorough drying process prior to storing safely. Avoid leaving blade soaking in bowl of washing up. This can loosen blade from handle and, more importantly is DANGEROUS.
● Sharpening – Ideally sharpening should be performed with regularity so blade is simply polished before it loses effectiveness, just as edge is fading slightly. This can be done by simply stroking blade on newspaper – a technique known as stropping demonstrated on our sharpening video. The ideal sharpening systems are whetstones. We also sell a vast selection of fabulous steel rods as well as the exceptionally easy KC200 Water Wheel Sharpener which takes all guess work out of process and is extremely effective. JKC also provides one of the best sharpening services outside Japan. Please see SHARPENING SECTION for further information.
● Storage – Sharp knives should always be stored so that the edge is not compromised; we sell an array of fantastic storage solutions including the Original Quarter Moon Magnetic Block and Luxury Hand Made Magnetic Block, these are the number 1 systems we recommend but we do have 4 other magnetic block models available to choose from. The simplest and best way to store your new blade is the hand made, hand stitched leather shield. Please go to STORAGE and BLOCKS sections on our site or even better call us.
● Country of origin – JAPAN
● Special notes – Hammer Collection whilst being amongst the smoothest, silkiest edges in their price category & beyond, will benefit from regular stropping to keep this awesome edge. BEWARE, such light keen edges DO REQUIRE A LITTLE EXTRA CARE IN USE AND HANDLING. The ultra keen edge seems to catch hands when cleaning, picking up and putting away. Keen edged blades should never be heavily banged on the board or used for edge stress creating tasks like twisting, prizing OR FORCING. NEVER USE FINE EDGED BLADES ON FROZEN FOOD OR BONE.